Calling all cheesy spinach lovers: this recipe is about to rock your world!
The flaky, buttery, crisp outside combined with the creamy, flavorful goodness of the cheesy spinach inside is absolutely addictive. If you’re wondering what this magical dish is, allow me to explain.
Spanakopita, (pronounced spa·na·ko·i·ta) is a delicious Greek recipe that’s been treasured for many generations. The beloved dish is a staple menu item at every Greek restaurant, and it’s easy to see why.
The spinach, feta cheese and seasonings baked in a legendary dough called phyllo (pronounced fee·low) will satisfy the toughest critics. Even kids love Spanakopita — and that’s especially impressive.
After years of searching for the BEST Spanakopita recipe, I finally found a winner. This version with an impressive 5-star rating allows us to devour the traditional Greek “pie” in a convenient triangle form! When you take your first bite of Spanakopita Triangles, you’ll know why Greeks are in love with this recipe.
Spanakopita Triangles are the perfect appetizer for every occasion: family dinners, potluck dinners, and celebrations of all kinds! Everyone will be impressed by this recipe. They’re so delicious that everyone will beg for a platter of their own for the next special gathering!
Here’s how to make Spanakopita Triangles:
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 (4 ounce) packages feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper
- 1 (24 ounce) package phyllo dough*
- 3⁄4 lb butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Slowly cook and stir onions until softened.
Mix in spinach, dill and flour. Cook approximately 10 minutes, or until most of the moisture has been absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Mix in feta cheese, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Lay phyllo dough flat and brush with butter. Place a small amount of spinach mixture onto each piece of dough.
- Fold phyllo into triangles around the mixture, then brush again with butter.
- Place filled phyllo dough triangles on a large baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until golden brown.
* Phyllo dough can be found in the freezer isle at your local grocery store.
Recipe by Steve P.
Looking for another cheesy spinach recipe? Try our Creamy Spinach Roll Ups:
HELP YOUR FELLOW HOME COOKS BY SHARING THIS ARTICLE NOW!