No one can resist a batch of hot buttermilk biscuits right out of the oven. But these cornmeal biscuits? Well, they bring a whole different flavor, and you can’t stop eating these once you try them. Make these for your next meal, and we guarantee they will have everyone talking!
These cornmeal biscuits also have buttermilk, which means they bake up moist and tender with each bite full of buttery cornmeal flavor, sharp cheddar cheese, chives, and a little jalapeño peppery heat. Oh my!
The best part is that it takes only a few simple steps to make these biscuits, a southern tradition with a savory twist, that’s perfect with just about any vegetable dish (especially greens) and a hearty meal. Here’s to your new go-to biscuit recipe!
Your dry ingredients, savory flavors, buttermilk and butter…
To create these flavorful, moist and tender biscuits…
You’ll get addicted to these. They’re THAT good!
HOW TO MAKE CORNMEAL BISCUITS WITH CHEDDAR, CHIVES AND JALAPENOS
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 1/3 Cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 Cup cornmeal (medium grind)
- 2 1/2 Tsp baking powder
- 1/4 Tsp baking soda
- 1 Tsp sugar
- 1 1/4 Tsp salt
- 6 Tbs unsalted butter, chilled (cubed)
- 3/4 Cup buttermilk, chilled (plus some extra for brushing the biscuits)
- 1-2 jalapeños, seeded (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 Cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 Cup chives, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Transfer the dry-ingredient mixture to the bowl of your food processor along with the cubed, chilled butter. Pulse 3 or 4 times, until crumbly. Then pour in the buttermilk and pulse a few more times until the dough comes together.
- Dump the biscuit dough into the original bowl and fold in the grated cheddar, chopped jalapeños and sliced chives. Be sure not to overwork the dough.
- Using a 1/4 cup measure, pack the biscuit dough into the cup and then release onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the dough and leave at least 2 inches between each biscuit (you may need 2 baking sheets for this).
- Brush the tops of the biscuits with buttermilk and bake for 15 minutes, or until the tops are crusty and deeply golden.
- Transfer the biscuits to a rack and let them cool slightly before serving. Enjoy with salted butter.
Want Another Biscuit Recipe? Now Watch How To Make Red Lobster’s Cheddar Bay Biscuits!
Inspired by Brit.co