Anyone who loves Margherita pizza is definitely going to enjoy this grilled cheese! I mean, how come I have never thought of this before?! Brilliant!
I’m pretty sure we all know that almost any dish converted into a grilled cheese turns out amazing, but this one…man oh man!
I’m not sure I’ll ever go back to a basic grilled cheese again!
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1 large Garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp Tomato paste
- 14.5 ounces fire-roasted canned tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 16 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 CUP Basil leaves
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 3 Tbsp Butter, melted
- In a small sauce pan, heat olive oil and garlic over a medium heat. Saute until softened, about 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste, stir to combine. Cook for one minute.
- Add tomatoes, salt and sugar, whisk until tomato paste is fully incorporated.Simmer for 8-10 minutes until thickened. Set aside.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet or griddle to a medium heat.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of sauce on each slice of bread. Top with four ounces of slices of cheese. Top with 4-5 leaves of basil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the other two pieces of bread, sauce side down on cheese and basil. Brush tops with butter. Season with a bit of salt and pepper.